Sunday, May 15, 2011

The Hunger Games Trilogy

Last night I finished reading The Hunger Games Trilogy, and I need to share how great it is!

My students have been telling me all year to read the three books, and while it was slow going (what teacher has time to read books for pleasure?), they have made it onto my favourites list! 

I think that all three of the books privdde countless teaching opportunities, I definitely think that they contain mature content.  I have heard of some teachers using the first book in their grade 9 Englsih courses, and I cannot imagine how that would be okay...

But, if you want to talk about issues surrounding government control, revolution, rebellion, hegemony, persecution, social injustice, love, friendship, breaking the law, consequentialism, and more - then these books could take you there!

While I have not used them explicitly in my teaching practice yet, they do have a place in my classroom library - though I do monitor who takes them home.

If you have not read them yet, you NEED to!!!!  To Suzanne Collins: thanks for creating such a fantastic collection!

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment